Monday, October 10, 2011

Some random musings

It's an hour before high noon and today is Monday, my day off from work. I marked the time to send across my usual message - or is it a complaint? - that life has become too fast and complicated. Even in my days off, I don't seem to have much time in my hands. Or probably, I just don't know how to manage my time.

Usually, I wake up at 5 am - an hour before my wife and child do - to squeeze in a little time to write a few lines for this blog, Salt of Life, my favorite among my four blogs. I am not a prolific writer and usually write a full-length article in two to three days, writing for an hour a day. When my wife and child wake up, I have to stop writing.

When I fail to wake up early, as it happened today and the past few days, I start my day driving my child to school and then my wife to the hospital where she works as a nurse before I go to my own work. On Mondays, my days off, I am supposed to have much time. But, sad to say, It's a luxury that I am not privileged to enjoy.

Today, I am supposed to write an article for any of my four blogs but again I cannot find a full time to do that. After driving my child to school and my wife to her work, I went to a computer shop to have our second laptop loaded with the needed programs. We have to buy a new laptop because there are times when my wife and our child have overlapping needs to use the first laptop.

That happens when my wife, who is a head nurse, has to prepare the schedule of her staff and our child has to do her homework that needed researching in the Internet. Our child has a notebook, a small laptop, but its small screen is not ideal for writing. Our child uses it for playing games when she is not busy with her school work.

Playing computer games is her therapy for her busy school schedule as blogging is mine. Despite my busy days, I always try to find time to write for my blogs. Writing is a passion that started when I was in high school. Passion doesn't need reason. It is something we love to do but don't know why.

I have written about this subject - about our hurried life - in a previous article "Our complicated Lives", but have decided to write about it once again after a high school classmate, Jim Marquez, sent me two emails from the United States where he now lives. I responded promptly to his first email, which came about four or five days ago.

I was supposed to write an article for this blog when I saw his first email. Luckily, I had waken up early that day before my wife and our child did. So instead writing for my blog, I spent the time writing a response to his email. But I missed responding to his second email immediately because I failed to wake up early the succeeding days. So today, I did a brief response before I took the laptop to the computer shop.

Jim's emails brought me back to our high school days in Romblon when much of our concerns were dominated by our dreams of the future. I remember him as a guy with a flat-top haircut. He came from a well-to-do family in town. I did not know what he wanted to be then but he became an architect, and I learned from some of our classmates I had met in Manila that he became a very successful architect.

Many of our classmates became successful and several have migrated to the US. But, I don't know if everyone will agree with me that when we grow old we do not bask anymore in whatever degree of success we have achieved. In my case, I become more concerned about our day-to-day living, how to cope with it, especially at this time when life has become too complicated - and yes, hurried.







21st Century auto Insurance is available only in the United States

Message body

No comments:

Post a Comment